The Power of Mentorship
Those of us lucky enough to have had a strong mentor figure at some point in our lives know how important they can be to career development, personal success, and overall well-being. The facts and statistics on mentoring go a long way to back those experiences up. That’s why January is National Mentoring Month, a time to celebrate and encourage both mentors and mentees.
What is National Mentoring Month?
Created in 2002 by the Harvard School of Public Health and The National Mentoring Partnership, National Mentoring Month is dedicated to raising awareness of mentoring, recruiting mentors for young people, and promoting mentorship within organizations. It’s for a good cause too – strong mentoring programs in the workplace are one of the most effective ways to increase engagement and develop talent over the long-term.
10 Awesome Facts About Mentoring
Here are some compelling facts and statistics about National Mentoring Month that we think showcase the power of a thoughtful mentorship program:
- 71% of Fortune 500 organizations have a formal mentoring program
- 94% of employees say they would stay longer at a company if they were offered opportunities to learn and grow
- Nine in 10 workers who have a career mentor say they are happy in their jobs
- 67% of businesses reported an increase in productivity due to mentoring
- 55% of businesses felt that mentoring had a positive impact on their profits
- 87% of mentors and mentees feel empowered by their mentoring relationship and develop greater confidence
- 89% of mentees go on to mentor someone themselves and contribute to a culture of learning.
- Mentees are 5 times more likely to be promoted
- In one study, mentoring programs boosted minority representation in management from 9% to 24%
- 84% of CEOs said mentors had helped them avoid costly mistakes
Celebrate National Mentoring Month
Even though 97% of those with mentors consider them valuable, some 85% of employees currently do not have one. More should enjoy the benefits a strong mentorship program can offer. National Mentoring Month is an opportunity to recognize and elevate those who go out of their way to make a large impact on their organization by taking someone under their wing.